Tuesday, October 6, 2015

of tanks and bunkbeds

A tank attacked my boy's bunk beds today.

I mean, my boy's bunk beds demolished a tank today.

Ok. What I really mean is I changed the sheets on my boy's bunk beds today.

Whomever it was who came up with the concept of a bunk bed really was quite clever!! What a great idea for maximizing small sleeping spaces for multiple persons.

I am fairly confident that this a fore mentioned clever person was NOT a woman and surely not a woman who was in her 8th month of pregnancy.

 I did just a little research and didn't find much  solid information about the origin of  the bunk bed.

It seems that we can thank the ancient Egyptians for, at least the idea and concept of bunk beds.

Bunk beds have been used for years in sailing vessels and the military as well as college dormitories.

So while I admire this clever person with his clever idea, I wonder if he ever thought through all the implications of maintaining a bunk bed.  

Especially a twin stacked on top of a double mattress with walking space on one side of the bed only.

{And what about pregnant women??}

Of course, maintaining a bunk would have been much easier before the day of fitted sheets.  

Maybe we should go back to the whole bed roll idea. 

Hmmmm.

So. I have this love/hate relationship with this clever person that I do not know at all. 

I would like to thank him for his ingenuity and goodwill towards large families.

And since he was so clever, I would like to ask him to come up with a slick maintenance package for his invention. 

Even in my frustrations with changing sheets  on bunk beds, I find myself very mesmerized by all the varieties and designs of modern bunk beds.






In fact, I dream of having some of these bunk beds in my house full of kids someday AFTER I learn of a better sheeting option or AFTER my kids are old enough to do a full sheet change on their own or AFTER I am through this child bearing stage of my life and AFTER I have a home with bigger bedrooms to house such amazing beds.

After which my home will likely not be filled with my own children but grandchildren!!!

Now would that be a party.....a sleep over with the grandchildren in these darling bunk beds!!!??!!!







8 comments:

  1. I always love the darling photos of neatly made bunkbeds with perfectly matching bedding that is folded just so and tucked in so well by the far wall. "HOW??" I ask. We're lucky if the pillow has a case on it and if the blankets are actually in the bed rather than on the floor! And one does wonder that there are no photos of a teary, wincing mom having just bonked her head on the bottom of the top bunk after kissing her child good-night. Or the mom stretching her gizzard out in an effort to kiss the face of the child on the top....
    ..oh, and remember when you and the top bunk came thunk! down on top of me as I lay in the bottom? No wonder we're sarcastic when we talk about bunks! Jolynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a chuckle out of "Mrs Thomas" :) I could look and look at those cute, built in bunkbed pictures..... until I start thinking of the practical side and then I resolutely look away. As my daughter said, "Then you couldn't ever re-arrange the bedroom!" Indeed. That has to be the last straw. Cute or not, they simply wouldn't work in my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome: exactly what you and Jolynn said! Those pictures are so wonderful and cozy but the reality is rather painful. Let me know when you patent an idea for remaking bunk beds with ease--I will be the first person on the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids love these "sheets/covers" http://www.zippysack.com/ They are perfect for bunkbeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really Informative blog to, Thanks for sharing these updates.
    bunk bed sheets
    rv bunk bed sheets

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s really nice and informative. It’s really great blog.
    Bunk bed sheets

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your thought. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.
    decorative pillow covers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the quality of content on your blog. The images used gives a better understanding. Thank you for sharing.
    Camper bunk sheets
    RV short queen sheets

    ReplyDelete