Thursday, February 23, 2017

February Decor


I know that often it is difficult to discern if I'm a few steps behind the game or leaping ahead of myself or if I'm just insanely random with my updates on this blog.

Maybe I  shy away from all blogging trends and expectations.

Surely her next post will be include something about Valentine's Day since it is Feb. 1.

Whatever all the reasons may be, today -February 23- I intend to share some of my Valentine's decor.

I love seasonal decor for a number of reasons, but perhaps primarily because I easily get bored with looking at the same old thing for more than a few months at a time.

Typically by the end of January my Christmas/winter greenery is hanging limp and begging to be thrown back to the forest floor. It's still a little early to be thinking spring since I live in the uttermost northern corner of PA. Hence, I like to do just a little face lift with some Valentine decor for the month of February.

I  have no deep affection for most of the red glittery Valentine decorations found at the Dollar Store.

Neither do I have a decorating budget that matches the cost of shopping Anthropology or Pottery Barn.

So.

I just kinda do my own thing.


This year I was kinda totally taken with my grandparent's wedding photos and decided that they would find a prominent place on my fireplace mantel.

Two of my grandparents have moved on to their eternal reward. Two continue to live and love each other. Watching my grandparent age hasn't been pleasant, but I can't think of anything that spells love MORE CLEARLY than witnessing their love and care for each other even as their physical bodies begin to fail them in many ways.



I very happily found an online printable to fill my clipboard that included a hint of spring. I added the green plant just because I couldn't totally suppress my spring fever.


It was fun to fill this photo frame with pictures of people that I love who love each other. I threw in a few vintage valentines, which are also a current rage with me. My family doesn't quite understand why I'm so crazy over these outdated cards with quirky humor.




It was fun to pull out some of my old photography work to put on display. This particular photo of my two oldest children has long been a favorite of mine.


This particular creation has been a long time in coming. I first imagine and then talk about a project for at least a year before any real steps are taken towards completion.

And truth be told, I didn't do much more than talk a lot about my mental picture to my young, energetic, capable servants.

 And then...

Nicholas cut out the pieces of wood and hammered them together. Angeline made the scrappy heart. I am very pleased with their creation, however I was imagining the letters to look a little more weathered and rustic. I'm thinking if I store them in the basement until next February that they will surely take on a more dilapidated look. Maybe I'll even allow the dog to chew on them for a while.


So.

There you have it.

A few photos. 

A few free printables.

A few scraps of wood and fabric.

This is one way we keep from getting too bored around here in February.



4 comments:

  1. Love. I'm not a seasonal decorator but that doesn't mean I can't come here and enjoy yours! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paragraph about how to age your LOVE letters made me laugh.

    But seriously - do you really Just. Kinda. Do. Your. Own. Thing?? Like, in all of life, or just seasonal décor, or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort*

      That's kinda like what my husband has told me several times.

      BTW. Congratulations on making me laugh first thing in the morning.

      Delete
  3. Just a hello to say I liked your Valentine's decor. The love/heart stands out nicely against the neighboring brick wall.

    ReplyDelete